I Love Music.
All kinds...All Genres.
Most of all I love singing. I miss singing.
Tonight I went to see Brother Will perform in Deep Ellem. A trendy, arsty, funky part of Downtown Dallas. Will is awesome and soooooooo talented. We sang what some would label "show tunes". I mean he's an actor...that's his world. I don't think I have another friend that would be able to sing a cut from Shrek the Musical...but that's dope right!?!? Well, I think so. As I watched him turn into a green ogre (complete with small ears), something inside me came alive. I drifted back to my high school days and being in Chamber Singers. Singing songs Italian arias...controlling my glottal attacks...over pronouncing words...engaging the audience...crescendo...staccato...Mrs. Winckler...performing. I would sing at the drop of a dime. Happy times. I must have been pretty darn good too...I lettered 3 times.
Imagine being 6 and singing your 1st solo at the Youth Choir Concert. *gives you a moment to find her in the picture* This day was the day I fell in love with singing. I practiced and rehearsed for what seemed like forever. Probably 2 weeks. I sang "I Surrender All" by Denise Williams (after she was known as Niecy and made her way back to Jesus). The way i felt holding that microphone...hearing myself in the monitor...was the best. Forget the fact that I cried through the entire song and that the choir director had to sit on the front row and sing with me. I was in the church choir from that moment on.
Fast forward to Jr. High...Mrs. Martinez and the Chorus...let me sum it up real quick. Seventh grade I thought I was Mariah and conquered "Vision of Love" (complete with oversized sweater and stretch pants). Got a standing ovation for my portrayal of Danielle in the 8th grade musical "Coming of Age" ROTFL And a star was born???
After High School, I took a break...well kinda. I really wanted to major in Music and was planning on it. The first semester of my freshman year in college I remember having to write a paper on someone in the field I hoped to be in one day. So I interviewed my music teacher. In the middle of asking questions....I broke down in tears telling her that my Dad did not approve of my wanting to have anything to do with music because it would never get me anywhere. Who does that??? (not the breaking down in front of the person I barely knew...although that was pretty embarrassing) But who discourages their child's dreams??? Columbus did and continues to do so. So from there I took a break from singing. Except for that time my bestest Jennifer (better known as J) threatened to cause me bodily harm if I didn't enter a talent contest at the L.A. County Fair. I sang "Long Walk" by Jilly from Philly before anyone even knew her. Surprisingly I won. Till this day she says she always knew I was going to win...I on the other hand never thought I would.
Shortly after that, I joined a small church with an even small smaller Praise Team. By joined I mean the Pastor was like, "I'm gonna need you to humm a little something because we have 5 members and you're the only one who used to be in the choir." You know me...don't like to let anyone down...so I did it. For almost a year, the praise team consisted of the Minister of Music and Me. Then Lakia and Tiva came aboard and I was apart of a group. The Soprano part of the harmony...a place I always felt comfortable. Then major drama popped off in church house and I broke out with the quickness. Haven't really sang since then.
But what happened??? I don't sing in front of anyone anymore. Well, unless your riding in the car with me and my jam comes on. I told all of the previous stories to try and figure out why I stopped singing. The top of my right shoulder is inked with a staff and 3 notes...so it's not like I'm trying to hide anything. Somewhere along the way I lost something. Did I just not have the time anymore??? Had I lost the love...become discouraged??? Or maybe I have never been to sure of my own talent!?!? I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. Singing is the one thing I have always wanted to do. I just want to know why I just kind of gave it up. For some reason I just dropped it like it was hot. But now I'm ready to pick it back up.
I'm not quite sure how...but I'm gonna start singing again. What if it's what God put me on earth to do??? Nikka said e'eryboddy got their sumthin. Maybe a few nights in a karaoke bar...serenading the love of my life while we lay on the couch on a Sunday afternoon...or maybe I'll finish writing to all those beats my brother has sent to me. That sandwich effect still works. Anything is possible...
*clears throat*
Let the words of my mouth...

No comments:
Post a Comment